Breakfast for dinner. It’s not something I do often but sometimes it just feels right. Last night was one of those times. My fridge was looking pretty barren but I did have 4 eggs, 7 slices of bacon, whole wheat (low fat) tortillas, and lots of leftover varieties of cheese. These ingredients might not sound like very much but I was able to stretch them and make them into FIVE breakfast quesadillas. Plenty for a dinner for two hungry people and we even had leftovers for today’s breakfast AND I even gave a few bite sized pieces of bacon to the dogs. Bacon makes everyone happy.
Whether you make these breakfast quesadillas for breakfast or you decide to have breakfast for dinner, they are really easy, REALLY yummy and they are a great vehicle for using up leftover ingredients in your fridge. Feel free to play around with the ingredients. I make quesadillas pretty frequently because they’re so versatile and you can use up whatever you have on hand, like I did with these steak and black bean quesadillas.
7 slices of bacon cut into bit sized chunks
non-stick cooking spray
5 tortillas – like these ones I used
5 slices of white cheddar cheese (you can also use shredded cheese, about 1.5 cups)
1. Add the bacon pieces to a non-stick skillet and heat over medium heat. Cook the bacon until crispy and, using a slotted spoon, remove it to a plate lined with a paper towel. Set to the side.
2. Drain off all the bacon drippings except for 1 tablespoon. Turn the heat to medium low. Crack the 4 eggs into the bacon drippings and scramble for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and set to the side.
3. Heat a separate skillet over medium low heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Once the pan is hot, lay a tortilla flat and let it brown on one side for 1 minute. Flip the tortilla over, break up one slice of cheese, and add the cheese to one half of the tortilla, leaving the other half empty so you can fold it over later.
4. Next sprinkle about a tablespoon of the crispy, crumbled bacon pieces and about two tablespoons of the scrambled eggs on top of the cheese. Again, leave one half of the tortilla empty. Fold the empty half of the tortilla over the eggs, bacon and cheese and let it cook for 1 minute, flip it over and cook for another minute on the other side until the quesadilla is nice and browned and all the cheese has melted.
5. Repeat with the remaining 4 tortillas until you have used all your ingredients.