I’m obsessed with the show The Kitchen on Food Network. Whether the hosts share an interesting cooking technique, a kitchen gadget, or offer tips and ideas for recipes, I almost always learn something new and I walk away with renewed inspiration. In one of the recent episodes, Katie Lee (love her!), who, by the way, was apparently married to Billy Joel at one point according to wikipedia (what??), offered a tip that helped me come up with my dinner Monday night. They were discussing deli shortcuts and tips and Katie’s tip was that she often picks up some grilled veggies from her deli and uses the veggies to make quick and easy burritos. She didn’t go into too much detail, but I thought, what a great idea. To be honest, I never even noticed the grilled veggies at the deli, but the next time I went to the grocery store, sure enough, there they were! Pre-sliced, perfectly grilled veggies.
I stole Katie’s idea and decided to come up with my own grilled veggie and chicken burritos. I added some spices, a can of refried beans and sprinkled some cheese on top and dinner was ready in a flash.
Grilled veggie and chicken burritos:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of grilled, chopped vegetables (from the deli, or grill your own). – they should be bite sized. You may need to cut the veggies up a bit more if you pick them up from the deli.
1/2 can of refried beans (I used Goya refried beans with chorizo)
4 whole grain, reduced fat tortillas
1 cup shredded cheese (whatever you like. Pepperjack, cheddar, fontina, etc. etc. etc.)
1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the diced chicken in a single layer and let cook on one side for one minute so it gets a nice sear. Turn the heat down to medium and sprinkle over the chili powder, cumin and salt and stir to combine. Cook for another 3 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
2. Add in the grilled, chopped veggies and then the refried beans. Stir for 1-2 until everything is heated through. Turn off the heat.
3. Set a toaster oven or regular oven to broil.
4. Lay the tortilla flat and add an equal amount of the chicken/vegetable mixture to each tortilla. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese on each one and broil for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
5. Fold the sides up and eat it like a burrito.