Sometimes it amazes me how simple recipes turn out to be the best ones. Most people often think that complicated cooking techniques, a slew of exotic ingredients, and a lot of time make a good recipe, and sometimes they do. But many times it’s just the opposite. Dishes that utilize only a few, good quality, local ingredients can turn out just as well as the fancy, complicated ones. Sometimes, they turn out even better. And that’s what happened when I made this simple eggplant, corn and feta salad. When I took my first bite, I was honestly surprised at how good it turned out because it’s too easy!
Part of what makes this dish so delicious is the quality of the ingredients. I feel the need to really emphasize that. When I made this for dinner, the corn was sweet, juicy and in season and I bought really good feta. In fact, I don’t really buy any other brand of feta cheese anymore because whenever I do I just wind up comparing it to this Mt. Vikos brand. It’s that good. I actually have my husband to thank for finding this particular brand of feta. Now, he rarely goes to the grocery store. This is because I actually enjoy grocery shopping and he truly hates it. But one day I just didn’t have the time so I asked him to pick up a few things. He came home with this incredible feta cheese, and, although it’s pricey, it’s so worth it. The eggplant also happened to be in season at the time. So, even though the recipe doesn’t sound like anything special, it truly showcases the quality of the ingredients. If you decide to make it, just make sure you buy the good stuff.
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium sized eggplant, cut into 1/2 cubes
corn kernels from 2-3 ears (about 2 cups)
7 oz package of good feta cheese (like this one), cut into 1/2 cubes
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper
1. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the shallot and sautee for 2 minutes. Then add the garlic and sautee for another minute.
2. Add the eggplant and season with salt and pepper. Sautee for 6-7 minutes.
3. Add the corn. Sautee for another 3-4 minutes. Add a bit more salt and pepper.
4. Next, add the feta and turn off the heat. Stir the feta in. It should start to melt a little and create a bit of sauce, but still keep it’s texture.
5. Sprinkle with the fresh parsley and taste. Add more salt and pepper if needed