I’ve been drinking a lot of smoothies lately which means I have not been cooking all that much, but when I do cook, I want it to be healthy and this Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken fits that bill.
I wasn’t sure what to call this actually. There are probably a million variations of this recipe because it’s not at all complicated. I’ve made something similar before and the recipe I followed called it Santa Fe chicken. I thought about calling it Mexican chicken because the dish does utilize Mexican flavors, but it’s not authentically Mexican. The recipe felt more like a Tex Mex recipe to me. It calls for flavors like fire roasted tomatoes, black beans, cumin, chili powder, and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Hence, the name slow cooker Tex Mex chicken.
Whatever you choose to call it, it’s delicious, so easy and a great make ahead recipe. I threw everything into the crock pot the night before, stuck it in the fridge, and this morning before I went to work I plugged it in, set the dial to low and walked out the door. When I come home tonight my house will smell delicious and I will have a flavorful fall apart chicken dish to eat in a variety of different ways throughout the week. Serve it over some romaine and spinach if you’re trying to keep it healthy, like myself, or over some brown rice or quinoa topped with some green onions and cilantro. Or, if you want a more hearty and slightly unhealthier version, grab a whole wheat tortilla (or corn or flour – I won’t tell) and pile on some of the chicken, shredded lettuce, maybe some pico or guacamole, and maybe, if you’re being indulgent, thrown on some cheese and sour cream as well.
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 can of fire roasted chopped tomatoes (regular diced tomatoes are fine too)
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of corn, drained and rinsed
1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (depending on how spicy you like it), and about 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce
Sliced green onion, for garnish
Chopped cilantro, for garnish
Greek yogurt or sour cream
Pico de gallo
Guacamole or Avocado
1. Cut the onion in half and slice it. Place the onion and garlic slices in the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the 4 chicken breasts on top of the onions. Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper and the chili powder and cumin.
2. Pour the tomatoes, black beans, and corn over the chicken. Chop the chipotle pepper(s) and add them along with the adoba sauce to the crock pot.
3. Stir everything together and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
4. Using two forks, shred the chicken (the chicken should fall apart very easily) and stir so that everything is combined.
1. Serve the slow cooker Tex Mex chicken over a bed of spinach and romaine lettuce for a healthy salad. Top with the cilantro and green onions for some crunch.
2. Serve the dish over brown rice or quinoa and top with cilantro, green onions and Greek yogurt for some tang.
3. Put the mixture into a tortilla and top it with whatever you like (see optional toppings above). Eat it like a taco or a burrito.